Thursday, May 7, 2009

Week one, done like a plate-o-sisig!

Well, I've been gone for about a week now and i think i'm finally getting used to the heat and humidity here. Of course, my idea of "getting used to it" is still sweating, but not as much as a Frenchman on a seven day wine binge.

I really enjoyed my entry into the country. The ladies and myself got through customs in record time and immediately met a representative from the company. We all were then wisped into a small van to be driven across Cebu to our hotel. The van tore across town quickly; shaving a 40 minute drive through heavy traffic down to 20 minutes of pure rukkus. I loved hearing the gasps of my companions (Trina excluded) as we sped past the compact streets of vendors, low tangled electric wires, and constant waves of people. It reminded me of Havana but with less of that "deteriorating communist" motif. Don't worry, no cyclists were taken out during the transportation of my luggage (yes, I really enjoyed the ride).

There is not one but three buildings being constructed next to the hotel. Due to a combination of the ridiculous hours they work and the proximity of my room my head was buzzing for the first few nights we were here. Suffice to say, I am now on the other side of the building with TWO beds and full nights of rest.

Weatherwise, it has been a nice mix of sun and rain but i wouldn't mind a bit more sun after work so i can work on my tan. I still feel a bit pasty. :)

I probably should not talk too much about work, but I will say that the team has thus far bonded nicely over the whole experience and it has been great getting to know the Wipro staff better. The trainees are amazing. A great group of people and words can not describe how wonderful they are. I have never trained a group with such interest and energy. Work bit of blog...DONE.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do any exploring yet because I've been pretty busy at work, but I have made quite a few excursions to the local mall for all my bits. I find the mall rather strange because me being the 6 foot plus caucasian Canadian I should be out of place. It is true that I am much the minority, nearly ALL the advertisements or mannequins are based around Americans. It's actually quite a trip.

If all goes to plan, I hear we will be touring the city on the weekend. I believe we may also be doing some island-hopping by the end of the month.

A few extra notes for Paul:

No, I have not been hit on yet...by ANYONE!

Yes, the beer is cheap and plentiful (San Miquel is pretty good at about 30-50 cents a pop and the local Cebu fave, Red Horse, is pretty strong at 6.9 percent).

This notebook is friggin' GENIUS! The i-touch as well. They both got me through a 13 hour flight when I was stuck in the middle of the plane...NUFF SAID! I can play tetris on the touch for hours!

Ladies here wear make up to make their skin look more pale. Some of them almost look like corpses. ZOMBIE MAKE UP, PAUL! It's the new chic moving into 2010.

I have still not had a belut, but I told my class that I wanted to try it and everyone cheered. No lechon yet either, BUT i did have a bit of sigig mixed with another local dish. It was not on a sizzling plate, but it was a cold version and was rather refreshing with it's intense citrus and vinegar flavors (I sound like PINKBOOTS). Let me tell you; Pig's head rules. I love the savory-sweet taste and the creamy texture. Converted...

I've also had regular sizzling sisig which is a brilliant bit of pork fry up on a cast-iron skillet. They add a raw egg for good measure making it excellent pub grub. The ladies brave enough to try it and myself really dug it.Speaking of which, I'm NOT supposed to mention about a CERTAIN individual who I caught washing her hands TWICE in the vinnegar dip because she thought it was lemon water. Don't worry Trina, my lips are sealed. ;)

I have been called "Joe" three times already. My favorite time was by a kid riding a jeepney while walking home from work.I have created my own nickname for those middle-aged white guys who are here with a young Filipino lady draped on their arm. The are now dubbed a "dirty joe".

3 comments:

  1. nom nom nom... Sissig sounds so good. Glad to hear work is going well so far. Evan, it's all about Field Runners on the iPod Touch. I have wasted a couple good hours on that game. I'm hacking up Katherine's right away :)
    I'm leaving for VanCity tomorrow. I'm excited and we are going to Sushi Garden tomorrow night for supper. I will be purchasing a new pair of kicks I believe.
    What's your price range for a camera?
    You have to watch Crank 2, it's super fucked up and over the top I love it.
    I'm buying a usb mic and grabbing your keyboard so eventually I can Vocoder Skype call you. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you bring the recipes and how to do the food you try.
    Look up on the compute.
    Lady at the 7-11 gives you not much change to not bring back a wife.
    She they all are SO GOOD girls. mmmmm
    We have been have Cebu weather ,but not hot , off on rain.
    I don't thing we need a mic. I believe it is build into the camera
    Have a good day Joe
    Love the old folks

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear "non-scuzzy Joe" brother...

    Glad that work is running smoothly; you also seem to be adjusting to the hot weather quickly too. I will try to do my best for mum on Mother's Day, but alas, I can not do the work of two!

    I had a very "cute" afternoon today - went to my (I think so anyway...) first baby shower. Too much "ahhhing" over presents for my taste. Plus, she's having twins and LOVES Disney. Wall-wall Pooh and Piglet...hmmm.... We played STORK (which is Bingo...).

    I also had my first dragon boat practice of the season. The president of the Edmonton Dragonboat club went out in the boat with us and paddled RIGHT behind me - no pressure!

    Zombie make-up huh? I'm pale already so that could be a good look for me!

    Take care and have fun!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete